Arrest Video of Tupac Shakur Murder Suspect Shows Him Saying It’s ‘Biggest Case in Las Vegas History’

Duane “Keffe D” Davis was arrested in late September by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department in connection with the 1996 murder of the rapper

Days after the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department arrested a suspect in connection with the 1996 murder of Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Tupac Shakur, the department has released footage of the arrest.

The footage, shared by local network KLAS-TV and Law & Crime Network, shows suspect Duane “Keffe D” Davis approached by authorities near his Las Vegas home on Sept. 29, when he was immediately handcuffed and cooperated with police.

After about two minutes, Davis — who has since reportedly been charged with one count of murder with a gang enhancement — is put into the police vehicle and given water. In a later bit of footage, an officer asked Davis what police “got” him for. He responded: “the biggest case in Las Vegas history.”

Video of Arrest of Tupac Shakur Murder Suspect Shows Him Saying It's 'Biggest Case in Las Vegas History'


While engaging in small talk with the officer in the front seat, Davis then explained that he wasn’t “worried” about the arrest and that he “ain’t did s—.”

“Well, that’s what the court’s for, right?” the officer responded.

Elsewhere in the footage, Davis asked police why the media wasn’t present at his arrest. “So why y’all didn’t bring the media,” he asked, per KHLAS-TV. “They had my whole house lit up,” Davis said, seemingly referring to when authorities executed a search warrant on July 17 on a home connected to him.

Video of Arrest of Tupac Shakur Murder Suspect Shows Him Saying It's 'Biggest Case in Las Vegas History'

Las Vegas Sheriff Kevin McMahill discusses arrest of Duane “Keefe D” Davis during a press conference.AP PHOTO/JOHN LOCHER

As previously reported, Davis was taken into custody late last month for allegedly being what Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo called the “on-ground, on-site commander” who “ordered the death” of the influential rapper, according to the Associated Press.

The Shakur family was “pleased with this news” that authorities shared at a press conference 27 years after Tupac was shot four times in a drive-by shooting on Sept. 7, 1996 at 25 years old.

In a 2019 book, Compton Street Legend, co-writer Davis is described as one of three “living eyewitnesses” to the murder, which took place when Shakur was on his way to a nightclub in Las Vegas. Shakur died nearly a week later, after losing a lung in the hospital. Davis, 60, has previously made public statements about being in the car that fired the shots at Shakur.

An affidavit previously reviewed by PEOPLE noted that an iPhone, a desktop computer, four laptops, tablets, a Vibe magazine issue about Shakur, tubs of photographs, and more items were discovered in the search of Davis’ home — which came nearly three decades after Shakur and Death Row Records boss Marion “Suge” Knight were shot at following a Mike Tyson match in Vegas. Knight was grazed in the head by a bullet and survived the shooting.


Rapper Tupac Shakur poses for photos backstage after his performance at the Regal Theater in Chicago, Illinois in March 1994

Tupac Shakur poses for a photo at the Regal Theater in Chicago, Illinois in March 1994.RAYMOND BOYD/GETTY

Several of Shakur’s peers have spoken out about the arrest since, including both Public Enemy rapper Flavor Flav and childhood friend Jada Pinkett Smith, who wrote on her Instagram Story that she hopes the public can now “get some answers and have some closure.”

Flav expressed his own thoughts on the matter exclusively to PEOPLE at the Brent Shapiro Foundation Summer Spectacular last week.

“I’m so happy right now that they finally found Tupac’s shooter,” he said. “It was bound to happen one day if he didn’t turn his own self in, because he told on himself, I heard.”

“He wrote a book about it and all of this stuff, but if he didn’t do it, I felt the streets would turn him in one day,” Flav added. “So I’m so happy that they found him.”

As reported by KTNV, Davis asked on Wednesday for his arraignment to be delayed so California attorney Edi Faal could represent him, which would require a petition through the Nevada Supreme Court.

Related Posts

Our Privacy policy - © 2024 News